Ms. Cheap's Penny Drive
When we pool together a little here and a little there, we can make a big impact!
Ms. Cheap wants your loose change! During the past 10 years, the fund drive led by Mary Hance (aka Tennessean columnist Ms. Cheap) has raised more than $580,000 – the equivalent of 2.3 million meals!
This year’s Penny Drive starts Nov. 1, 2019 and ends Jan. 31, 2020. Your company, church, group, school, or family can pick up Penny Drive cans at these locations:
- Pinnacle Financial Partners
- Wilson Bank & Trust branches
- Second Harvest’s Martin Distribution Center in Nashville
Most groups turn the Penny Drive into a little friendly competition. For example, last year a family offered an ice cream party to the first St. Bernard Academy homeroom to fill its can. Logistics firm V. Alexander & Co. rewarded Penny Drive donations with a fun perk – blue jean Fridays. At just six years old, Snow Bernard collected donations in lieu of gifts at her birthday party (and raised $323.35)!
Download the Penny Drive tool kit
Read these inspiring Penny Drive stories
• Diane Bringht, who greets and seats customers at the White Bridge Road Waffle House has posted several penny cans around the restaurant for customers to donate and gave additional cans to friends and customers so they can collect on their own! Diane once received much-needed food assistance at a Second Harvest Partner Agency, where she now volunteers.
• Lynette Hicks used the Penny Drive as part of her family’s Thanksgiving festivities–all proceeds from their board game and card game competitions will be donated to the penny drive!
• Wilson Bank & Trust, a Penny Drive sponsor, held a friendly competition between all of their branches to see which ones could give out the most penny cans. They distributed 86 cans in just two weeks, creating great conversation about hunger and raising money too!
Ms. Cheap Wants to Hear How YOU Collect
We love when people get creative with their collecting, and we want to tell those stories as part of the campaign, so please share your Penny Drive stories.
Share on Facebook and Twitter using #mscheap or send her an email.