Hazardous Material Volunteer Training
Forklifts, tow motors, reach trucks, pallet jacks
- Batteries and propane are typically used to power to the equipment.
- Be aware, and stay clear of, moving equipment in the warehouse.
Trash compactor, recycling bins
- No one is allowed to climb on or in these machines.
Chemicals for cleaning
- Simple Green
- Clorox wipes
Batteries, Propane, and Battery Charging Area
- Warehouse equipment is charged by either batteries or propane.
- No open flames or smoking in this area.
- If exposed to battery acid or propane, safety data sheets (SDS) are near the warehouse time clock
- If exposed to battery acid or propane, an eye washing station is near the maintenance cage.
- Volunteers have limited warehouse access and work in the volunteer work spaces: sort room, salvage room and repack room.
- Volunteers assigned to taking out the trash and recycling follow the designated route from the volunteer work areas to the dock, and are required to wear a safety vest.
- Volunteers must use the center aisle (aisle F/G) to reach the dock, compactors, and floor scale. No other aisles should be used to travel from volunteer work spaces to the building’s dock side.
- Only certified and trained employees can use the forklifts, tow motors, and reach trucks.
- Only trained employees and volunteers over age 16 may use electric and manual pallet jacks.
- Lockout/tagout procedures must be followed by trained employees if maintenance needs to be performed on the recycling compactor.
Response to Chemical Exposure or Accident
First Aid Kits
First aid kits are in the sort room, salvage room, repack room, downstairs mail room, and all breakrooms.
Blood Borne Pathogen Kits
Blood borne pathogen kits are located near first aid kits.
AED defibrillator is near the bathrooms in the front lobby.
Fire extinguishers are located throughout the building fully charged, maintained, and labeled.
Second Harvest’s Safety Committee
Second Harvest’s Safety Committee members are first responders trained in CPR/first aid, AED, blood borne pathogen, and fire extinguishers. A list of first responders is kept at the front desk.
Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are near the warehouse time clock. The yellow notebook maintained by Facilities Management contains an SDS about the chemicals on-site and gives instruction on handling the chemical, how to store the chemical, and what to do if exposed to the chemical.