Court Ordered Community Service in Smyrna
LocationNacarato Distribution Center
Monday through Friday, 8 am – noon (4 hours)
Shifts are only available during weekday business hours; there are no evening or weekend shifts.
Volunteers are needed to help evaluate, sort, and pack food donations from grocery stores, food drives, and farms for distribution across Middle and West Tennessee. Projects vary.
Volunteers with the following charges (past or present) are not eligible to complete their hours at Second Harvest:
• Theft of any kind
• Sexual Assault or Misconduct of any kind
• Violent crime of any kind
Court Ordered Community Service hours won’t be credited to volunteers working at any other time, or for any other volunteer opportunity. Please review the policies:
This volunteer project takes place in a warehouse environment. Please dress appropriately for the environment and activity.
• Closed-toe shoes are required for all volunteers’ safety. No exceptions.
• Wear comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting a little dirty.
• Bring a sweatshirt or jacket in case you’re needed to work in the 40-degree cooler.
- All court ordered community service volunteers must pre-register and sign up for shifts in advance online. Walk-ins, phone, or in-person scheduling isn’t permitted. All scheduling must take place online.
- We’ll review your application and let you know within two business days whether your application is approved.
- Once approved, you’ll log-in with your username/password, and sign up for the shifts you wish to work.
- You’re only eligible to sign up for shifts titled “Court Ordered Community Service.” Hours won’t be credited to volunteers working at any other time, or for any other volunteer opportunity.
- You can request a letter to verify your hours from a Volunteer Coordinator at the end of your service. You are responsible for giving the letter to your parole/probation officer or judge. Second Harvest is not responsible for time served if you lose the letter. We won’t re-issue letters.
- Shifts are Monday-Friday (8 am-noon); NO Saturday or evening shifts are available.
- Additional hours (coming in early, staying late, or working through lunch) ARE NOT AVAILABLE.
- You must plan on staying for the entire shift. If you only have 1 hour to complete, you’re still required to stay for the full 4-hour shift.
- You must arrive on time. If you are more than 15 minutes late, you won’t be permitted to work, and will be recorded as a no-show.
- If you’re not available for a shift you signed up for, you MUST log in online and cancel within 6 hours of the scheduled start time. If you don’t show up for a scheduled shift, or if you are late, it will be recorded as a no-show. After 3 no-shows, you’re no longer eligible to complete hours at Second Harvest and your account will be disabled.
- Any Second Harvest staff member is authorized to dismiss you if you do not follow directions. A dismissal means you’ll be asked to leave immediately and you won’t be eligible to receive credit for hours worked, or eligible to volunteer at Second Harvest again.
Please review our Volunteer Policies and Procedures.
For more information, contact our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator by email or 615-627-1581.