Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 3 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 2 jalapeños, diced with seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 1/2 cup water
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, cook onion for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, and chili and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and water or broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid leaving room for steam to escape, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add more liquid as needed. Serve hot.