Onions are sweet, savory, and pungent all at once, adding extra depth to any dish.
- Peel onion skin. Cut off the top.
- Lay on flat end and slice in half through the root.
- Lay one half flat. Hold root and cut long slits, leaving the root intact.
- Rotate onion and cut across into a small dice. Discard root. Repeat with other half.
Here’s a delicious recipe you can try at home.
Sweet Potato Hash
Makes 6 servings
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook onions and peppers until tender, about 5 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Soulful Recipes: Building Healthy Traditions.